The first meeting of Ukrainian Orthodox parishioners took place on April 27, 1952. Eighteen people were present at this meeting. Their goal was to find a home where the soul could find joy, their own church.
By the 25th of May they had rented space in an Evangelical church where Father D. Foty conducted the service. Various priests came from London, Waterford and Grimsby. This first Ukrainian Orthodox congregation endured 17 years without a home. Services were held only once a month while the membership increased. Finally, in March of 1969, their patience was rewarded with the purchase of the present building in Waterloo for $45,000. On the 31st day of August, 1969 after renovations were completed — the first service was celebrated. Most of those early worshipers have passed on, but their hard work and enthusiasm remains in those left to continue the faith.
St. Sophia Church on Google Street View. Virtual Tour of Church from all angles, inside and outside.
Find us on Google Map, Google Street View and Google Earth.